Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My story... by Molly.

I don’t remember much before I came to live with Kay but I’ll never forget the day that she and Stu came to collect me or what’s happened since.
It was a Saturday about lunchtime when the kennel lady came to get me. I was all excited. I had heard that I was leaving soon but thought it strange as no humans had even looked at me never mind been keen enough to take me home.
I went outside into the sunshine and saw 3 shadows standing in front of me. I was nearly all blind. My eyes were sore and itchy but the more I rubbed them on things the sorer they got. I recognised one of the voices as the kennel man but the other 2 were strange – really strange. I had never heard anyone talk like that before. The female said that we were going to Scotland and I realised that’s why they spoke so funny. I wagged my tail as hard as I could so they would think I was cute and not change their mind about taking me. We went outside and the man lifted in into a car.
I sat quiet in the car and we pulled away. I was desperately trying to understand what they were saying. They were talking about me. Oh no they had noticed that I wasn’t well. I was so frightened that they would take me back that I sat quiet as a mouse. We hadn’t gone far when the car stopped. I sat shaking thinking “that’s it, they have taken me back and I’m going to die” but when they opened the car I wasn’t back there at all. They lifted me out the car and examined me all over. The man held me – Stu was his name. I kissed him but he didn’t seem to like it much so I kissed him again. Somehow that much have told him my teeth hurt cos they both looked in my mouth. The lady spoke softly to me. She kept calling me “baby” and I liked it. That was Kay. She said that she’d take me to the vet tomorrow and make me all better. I just fell in love with her. She was so gentle with me and I felt so safe with them.
It was a long journey to Kay’s house and I was tired when we got there but the house was full of new smells. Kay showed me all round the house and then set up my bed. I dived straight in and settled down. Shortly after another dog appeared. Lucy was her name and she was like me – a Bull Terrier. She was younger, bigger and stronger than me though but very friendly. Then a wee while after meeting Lucy another dog came in. Lenny was his name but he wasn’t like me. Kay called him a boxer. He was friendly too but I knew straight away that he was a big softy.
The next day Kay took me to the vet after she bathed me. I was so frightened when we got in the car. I kept thinking that maybe she had changed her mind and was taking me back. I cried all the way to the vets and the whole time in the waiting room. Kay held me while the vet cut my claws. It was very sore and I yelped with the pain. I tried to get away but she had a tight hold of me although I think I might have hurt her in the struggle. The vet checked me all over and put stuff in my eyes.
After the vets I started to feel better. Kay took good care of me giving me medicine and soaking my sore paws. She put eye drops in my eyes and then gave me a treat for being so good. I barked at her to say “thanks”.
Life at Kay’s is never boring. Lenny and Lucy play fight all day. They are noisy and quite rough. I want to join in but I’m just a bit scarred still. Kay has a daughter who gets called Chick and Robi. You can tell if she’s in trouble by the name that she’s called. She is kind and watches TV with me. She lifts me onto the couch and cuddles me. Last week she was ill and off school for the day so she just spent the whole day on the couch with me rubbing my tummy. It was great. The best day off my life. I didn’t know that living with humans could be so good
Sometimes Rudi and Stu come to visit. Stu calls me his girl and I like it. He plays with me while Rudi joins in with Lenny and Lucy. Kay says that I start to play too when I feel better. Lucy does a mad thing every day that Kay calls a “Bullie Run”. She runs really fast all over the house. It’s very funny. Kay says I’ll do that too when I feel more secure and happy. She doesn’t know it but I’m already happy now I live here.
I can see much better now though. In fact most of me is feeling great. We all go for a walk every night together. I am tired after it though. I’m not use to having a walk. Sometimes I get off the lead to run about and chase Lenny.
Kay and Robi have been trying to get me out of my bed. It was scary at first but I’m getting there now. I have claimed Lenny’s bed as mine as he never used it much anyway and he’s too soft to say anything.
Lenny and Lucy call Kay their mum. I felt a bit jealous to begin with and then all of a sudden she said to me “where’s mummy’s girl?”. My heart about stopped. I just stood and looked at her waiting for her to say it again just in case I’d heard her wrong but no she repeated it “M-o-l-l-y, where’s mum’s girl?”. I just ran right over to her and cuddled her. My prayers have been answered. I have a forever home with a great family and they love me. I can’t believe how lucky I am to have been found by them. Mum says BIN brought us together. I have no idea who BIN are but I know they saved my life and I am forever grateful.

No comments: