Tuesday, February 05, 2008

A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A FOSTER


Hi my name is Nette and I have been lucky enough to foster for BIN for a few months now. I have a wonderful husband who supports me in what I do as he is as crazy about bullies as I am. I have had a few dogs come through me one of which I had to keep as He just fitted in so perfectly.
Here is an example of a normal day fostering.

5am. get up and let pups out one by one for toilet. Remove bedding from pups crate and clean it out. put fresh bedding in and washing machine on. then put pups away clean up any little puddles they have left as not yet house trained.
Now its time to let my own dogs out for toilet.
grab a coffee to wake up if i have time
6am. feeding time for the pups. 10mins and its all gone.......all over the floor. try to catch pups to clean them up after removing shoe from one mouth and remote control from the other. pups get put out to go to toilet again. 20mins later success they have finally gone. Clean up mess in kitchen. wash floor again.
7am. walk time. my dogs go for an hours walk so that takes us up to
8am. pack son off to school and get pups out for toilet again. one has a wee the other just wants to play. 15mins later they have both been. now its time for cream for sore spots. cream up my arms in my hair but finally managed to get it on wriggling belly
wash all food and water bowls and refill water for each dog.
9am grab coffee stomachs rumbling but now its tie to get pups used to a harness.
in lounge harnesses finally on trying to get pups to walk on lead.
10.30. all dogs away its time for some housework.
11.15 had to stop housework as one of the dogs was sick. again change bedding and wash dirty stuff. tumble dryer on overload.
12. puppy feeding time again. then back to bed for snooze after being put out for toilet.
1pm. walk my dogs as they like a good lunch time stroll.
2pm. pups out trying to teach them the sit command. in between running to the back door everytime one of them wee's.
By now my stomach is telling me to eat. so grab some crisps.
3pm. all dogs asleep so pop to shop
3.15 cream time again
4pm now its time to try and cook family tea. both pups asleep but my own dogs are having bullie runs around the lounge.
6pm hubby takes our two for a walk. im feeding the pups and doing the whole toilet thing again.
7pm time for all the dogs to get used to each other. its total mayhem
8pm get everything ready for tomorrow school uniform lunch boxes etc.
9pm finally get to sit down with hubby and son for while till one of pups had another accident.
10pm PURE BLISS both hubby and I are sat on a sofa each with one of our dogs and a puppy getting wonderful hugs and kisses.
11pm. dogs bed time so its toilet time first then put our two away. bring pups upstairs to bedroom crate. pups wont settle so end up with one each in our arms in bed
2am. Dog downstairs barking to go out. pups put in crate in bedroom and let my dog out.
3.30 one of pups is restless and whining. settle it down and crael into bed at 3.55 ready for 5am to wake up again.
in between this i keep popping online to give or receive advice and support and also to find out if transport has been arranged for another foster I have coming this week and to arrange a transport run im doing from the south of england to the midlands in 2weeks time.
It may sound a hectic life but every single cuddle or happy dog that leaves to go to its forever home makes it so worthwhile. I WOULD NOT CHANGE A THING

No comments: