Friday, January 25, 2008

A week in the life of a B.I.N Fosterer

George chilllin in the sun!

Hi my name is Joanne, I have been fostering for Bullies in Need for about 18 months. I am a proud to say I am a member of the failed foster club. It didn’t take long; George was my second foster dog he was 7 years old and through no fault of his own was given up by his previous owners. He had a few medical problems when he arrived so he stayed while he was recuperating. He was such a cuddle monster I could not let him go.




Bertie


Just after Christmas, Lisa the co-ordinator asked if we could foster a stray bull terrier that had been handed in at a Rescue Centre down south. The Rescue Centre had named him Big Bertie! He had a long journey to make up to Sheffield but it was all in preparation for finding him a new forever home. The volunteers of BIN did a great job with the transport run, he left the rescue centre at 10 am and he arrived at mine around 6pm. After the introductions we walked him around his new surroundings. The Rescue Centre were spot on he was one big dog! That evening he settled great in the BIN kennel. Bertie was a handful; he had so much energy and was very boisterous. We worked on his behaviours and he did calm down as the days went by. Lisa had sent me a questionnaire from someone who was interested in Bertie, so I gave them a call and arranged for them to visit at the weekend. The lady realised that Bertie wasn’t the dog for her as he had a lot of energy. He was like a whirlwind! I was very disappointed for Bertie, he deserved a forever home. Later that day I let Lisa know that the visit had not been a success. She had a few more questionnaires completed for Bertie so I made a few more phone calls. I called a family from Cheshire who was eager to meet him the following day. I knew we had a great volunteer in Cheshire who had completed the final part of the transport run for Bertie so I gave her a call to see if she could do the home assessment for the Family. They arranged to visit the Family's home the Sunday morning before they came to meet him. Things were looking up for Bertie.
The family were great with Bertie, we took him for a walk and the Dad kept him under control all the way round, Bertie really could pull on a lead when he wanted to! They stayed at mine for a few hours; the teenage kids were good with him too. They took him home later that Sunday. He was going to live with another female Bullie called Suki. I said my goodbyes and he never looked back. In the evening I got a called from the family to say that they had arrived home safely and he was playing great in the garden with his new girlfriend Suki!





The fostering is very rewarding, I love the happy endings. If you are interested in fostering for Bullies In Need please get in touch with Lisa, her details are on the website

1 comment:

lisa wallis said...

hello I am a follower of b i n blog and the rescue site i have a bull terrier called dotty at present and i used to have a white bull terrier called nellie who went every where with me while i renovated a water mill but she sadly died of cancer about six months after we finished. anyway to stop waffleing would you be kind enough to email the george chillin in the sun picture as i would like to enlarge it and frame it as it makes me smile and i think sums up the breed perfectly. Thanks so much i can make a donation to the charity for your trouble